Monday, September 4, 2000

On the Road to Gadsden

On September 7th we arrived in Gadsden, AL. for our Good Sam Chapter camp out. The trip went very well in spite of the "wash board" road on I-59. Again thank goodness for eight air bags and eight shocks, if not everything inside would have shaken loose.

When I hooked up the water at the site I had a BIG problem. When I turned the water faucet on it broke and water went every where including all over me and the coach. Some of my friends who were close by had a BIG laugh. We finally got the water turned off to the site but of course it turned off the water to two other rigs near by. I had to move to another site so I wouldn't be camping in a "lake". The park manager gave me a complimentary two night stay to make up for the problem.

We ate at a real good sea food restaurant and both the food and service were great. I had boiled shrimp and really had all I could possibly eat. That's strange too since I'm known for being able to hide a lot of shrimp. The waiter gave me a "doggy box" to take home those I couldn't eat and he added some more too. The next day I had them for lunch and there were about 20 shrimp. Needless to say I gave the waiter a good tip.

After a relaxing weekend we hit the road to Commerce, GA to visit our son and two grand children. We took I-20 to Atlanta and the road was good until we hit Atlanta and then it went to bits. The road began with four lanes and dropped to three, two and then to one and that was the left lane. Naturally the drivers had to drive right up to the open lane as far as they could and then crowd over in front of you. How can you hide a 40 foot motor home? After about an hour of the "fun and games" we finally got through the construction. We saw a really bad wreck on I-85 north. It looked as though a car tried to "fly" through the trees but didn't make it.

We finally got to Commerce, GA and stayed at the camp ground we've been to before. A real nice and quiet place. We had a real good time visiting with our son and grand children

No comments: